International UK Hauliers: What you need to know before Brexit

International UK Hauliers: What you need to know before Brexit

If you’re not in the loop, the UK is set to leave the EU on March 29th (or at least, in 2019). Many hauliers have had questions and concerns regarding what will be required from them moving forward. Here’s a better idea of some of the requirements you may face as an international haulier based in the UK, looking to move goods through Europe.

International driving permit (IDP):
Thanks to the .gov website, we now know that many of the countries in Europe will be accepting different types of international driving permits. If a no-deal Brexit takes place – an IDP could become a requirement as well as a UK driving licence when travelling to other countries within the EU.
This won’t be the case for drivers travelling to Ireland, all you need is your UK driving licence. Ireland also doesn’t require IDPs from members of non-EU countries.

If you are a UK haulier based in an EU country, from March 29th an IDP cannot guarantee validity of your licence in that country. It is recommended that you exchange your UK licence for a local licences, if the option is available to you in your region.
Crossing the channel: 

For drivers who plan on crossing the Channel, should no-deal be reached when Brexit takes place – Operation Brock will be put into action by the Port of Dover. This will be an effort to reduce delays and traffic build-up in the area. It is recommended that before departing for any journeys in the area that drivers check if Operation Brock is active while they plan to travel.
Registering your trailer: 

Any commercial trailers weighing over 750kg as well as non-commercial trailers that weigh over 3,500kg will need to be registered before entering EU countries. Non-commercial trailers weighing over 750kg can be registered, but it isn’t a legal requirement.
Vehicle registration documents:

It is recommended that in the event of a no-deal departure from the EU, international hauliers take any documents associated with their vehicle on their journeys, in case they ever need to verify their information at checkpoints across Europe.

Some suggested documents include:
- A log book (V5C), if available
- A VE103, showing officials you have authorization to use a hired or leased vehicle internationally.
With some more information provided by Government officials, hauliers can now better prepare for the outcome of Brexit in the next few months. If you’d like more information, visit the .gov website – which gives in-depth descriptions on possible outcomes of Brexit and what it will mean for hauliers.

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

 Security code

Save money and reduce your carbon footprint with Returnloads.Net

With up to 5,000 new loads per day, saving over 250 million miles per year, the impact for the UK's Carbon footprint alone is huge.